To help Port of Waterford navigate multiple complex data sources, MCS created a bespoke dashboard, that allowed stakeholders to access the information needed at the touch of a button.
Thanks to the system installed by MCS, instead of wasting time trying to find the right data, I can spend my time analysing data and guiding management through data-driven insights. In terms of business planning, the MCS system has transformed how we run this business.”
Port of Waterford is Ireland’s closest multi-modal port to continental Europe. It handles lift-on/lift-off, bulk liquid, bulk solid, breakbulk, general cargo, and cruise vessels. The Port is connected by road and rail to a national transport system and runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Port of Waterford employs a large workforce of skilled pilots, stevedores, and cargo handlers.
In 2019, Port of Waterford handled nearly fifty thousand twenty-foot equivalent units and had a turnover of €7.8m. As the Port has grown into a non-stop year-round operation, the Financial Controller’s reporting responsibilities have become more complex. Recent IT improvements have allowed the port to collect huge volumes of operational data. However, software limitations meant that this data was hard to analyse and key insights for business growth were being lost.
In order to reduce time spent creating reports and reliance on manual input (which was prone to human error and caused delays), MCS proposed creating an easy-to-use tool to produce real-time reporting with instant access to fine-detail-level information.
MCS created a bespoke dashboard, linked to all the relevant data sources, that allowed users to access the information needed at the touch of a button.
- MCS carefully reviewed all business processes with Port of Waterford stakeholders to identify existing capabilities and to establish the company’s exact management and operational needs.
- MCS mapped the information sources and developed software to integrate disparate processes, allowing easy data retrieval across multiple sources.
- MCS created a bespoke dashboard with the functionality required by the Port of Waterford. This dashboard was tested with Port of Waterford stakeholders and further refined according to their feedback.
- Robust testing was conducted as the new software ran in parallel with the incumbent system. MCS worked in close consultation with Port of Waterford, making system changes as required, in order to establish that the software was successfully capturing and reporting all data before rollout.
- MCS deployed the software system throughout the Port of Waterford office, providing on-site and online training to all users; MCS continues to provide support and training today.
Port of Waterford now has immediate access to accurate sales figures, real-time oversight of budget versus actual, and the ability to make more accurate data-driven predictions.
The system designed and installed by MCS resulted in
- substantial time savings as data was made instantly available,
- better data integrity because of reduced manual data inputs,
- increased visibility because stakeholders could view fully informed high-level summaries while being able to easily drill down to in-depth detail,
- management empowerment as decisions could be made based on real-time cost centre performance information, and
- improved data intelligence because of easy access to trends and comparisons over time.
Managing Director, Conor O’Connell, said “The Port of Waterford manages huge volumes of cargo, and it has complex data processes. Thankfully, MCS is really good at streamlining complexity and helping clients make data work for them.”
WHY COMPANIES CHOOSE MCS INTEGRATED SOLUTIONS
Individual businesses have individual technology needs; our strength comes from our close attention to customer requirements, combined with 50 years’ experience and expertise in technology design, selection, and implementation. We work closely with customers to fully understand their problems, and we find original solutions through our detailed knowledge of the customer workflows. We create cost-efficient, integrated, and user-friendly solutions specific to each unique organisation’s needs.